ASHRM Celebrates National Patient Safety Awareness Week
National Patient Safety Awareness Week: March 12-18, 2023
The American Society for Health Care Risk Management recognizes National Patient Safety Awareness Week and the role in which patient safety professionals contribute to ASHRM’s mission of advancing patient safety, reducing uncertainty and maximizing value.
Patient Safety Awareness Week Activities and Tools
ASHRM has a slate of free activities as well as professional development tools and resources available for patient safety risk professionals.
NEW PODCAST: Encouraging Event Reporting in the Face of Adversity
March 14, 2023In the aftermath of a significant event, staff may be reluctant to complete patient safety reports. Tune in to hear Sandy Bledsoe discuss how to encourage event reporting in the face of adversity. To learn more about Sandy, and the work being done at Vanderbilt, go to vumc.org.
UPCOMING PODCAST: Actions Taken to Address Workplace Safety in a Public Safety Net Health Care Organization
March 17, 2023This podcast will review actions taken beyond the required federal, state and accreditation standards to address workplace violence (WPV) through the use of the ERM Risk Assessment and incorporation into system strategic initiatives. Incorporating trauma informed care principles for addressing patient behaviors and supporting impacted workforce members.
ASHRM Patient Safety Tip Sheets
Download free printable patient safety resources developed by subject matter experts from ASHRM!
Tip sheets include:
- High Acuity Patient Transfer
- Staffing Agency Contracts
- Staff Resilience and Well-Being
- Laboratory and Diagnostic Test Result Communication
- Preventing Wrong Site Surgeries
The following free supplemental resources directly correspond to the Patient Safety Tip Sheets.
- High Acuity Patient External Transfer Handoff Guidance Tool
- Safe Procedural Surgery Gap Analysis Worksheet
- Patient Safety Week Quick Training - Agency Contracts
Patient Safety Word Search
Review Patient Safety terms with this printable word search.
Social Media Toolkit
Raise awareness of patient safety by sharing these sample posts on your personal or professional accounts on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. Or share this toolkit with your communications team to get your organization involved in raising awareness in your community.
Sample Social Media Images
ASHRM Facebook/LinkedIn Image | Blank Facebook/LinkedIn Image | ASHRM Twitter Image | Blank Twitter Image
eLearning: Patient Safety in the Clinical Setting
This program aims to assist risk managers in influencing processes, culture, and relationships essential to their organization’s patient safety strategy.
- Identify barriers that cause patient safety events to not be acted upon.
- Educate staff on common patient safety events within your organization.
- Apply strategies to ensure staff in clinical settings will respond correctly to patient safety events.
eLearning and On-Demand Webinars:
Access these patient safety eLearning courses and on-demand webinars.
- NEW! Reducing Clinical Risks Associated with Reusable Medical Devices: A Regulatory, Patient Safety, Risk Management, and Infection Control Perspective
- Patient Safety Ethics
- Patient Safety and the Obesity Epidemic: How to Tackle the Risks of an Expanding Patient Population
- Creating a Clinical Management Program Through the Lens of Sepsis
- Can We Talk? Communication Gaps Cause Patient Harm
- The Whole is Greater than the Sum of the Parts - Uniting Quality, Patient Safety, and Risk
- Teaching Cognitive Interviewing Skills for Adverse Event Investigation
- Scaling Communication and Resolution Programs: Achieving the Potential, Avoiding the Pitfalls
ASHRM Patient Safety Reference Books
Health Care Risk Management Fundamentals
The Health Care Risk Management Fundamentals book utilizes the ERM model to illuminate the fundamental domains of health care risk management including Clinical Risk Management and Patient Safety, the Legal and Regulatory Environment, Claims and Litigation and Risk Financing. Purchase Now
Patient Safety Risk Management Playbook
The Patient Safety Risk Management Playbook will help you become a more knowledgeable and confident health care risk manager through the use of data and metrics, an approach that supports patient safety and risk reduction programs and initiatives. Purchase Now