Become a Certified Professional in Health Care Risk Management (CPHRM) and demonstrate your experience and expertise in health care risk management. The CPHRM is the profession's top certification and is a prerequisite for many of the best jobs in the field. In order to obtain this credential, you must pass the CPHRM exam.
Recommended Steps to Study for the CPHRM Exam
Learn the Fundamentals of Health Care Risk Management
Study the core concepts of health care risk management covered in Health Care Risk Management Fundamentals. This textbook is the definitive resource for the foundational topics covered in the CPHRM exam.
The HRM Certificate Program, a 3-part course offered at ASHRM events, covers these foundational topics in an intensive learning environment. This program is recommended to anyone with less than 5 years of experience in the profession.
Study the Exam Topics in ASHRM Playbooks
ASHRM Playbooks provide a deep dive on health care risk management topics. The following playbooks contain information covered in the CPHRM exam:
Review the CPHRM Exam Preparation Guide
Combined with Health Care Risk Management Fundamentals textbook, the ASHRM CPHRM Exam Preparation Guide textbook, 7th Edition, is an invaluable aid. It is organized by domain of practice and exam specifications. It covers many key content areas, key terms, acronyms and has a 110 question practice exam.
- Take the CPHRM Exam Preparation Course
This 2-day course provides a high-level review of the CPHRM Exam and each of its five exam domains. The course will also help you identify which topics require further study. The CPHRM Exam Preparation Course will be offered at:
- ASHRM University Online Learning - Available on-demand
- ASHRM Academy 2022 - May 2022, Online Program
- ASHRM Express 2022
- ASHRM 2022 Pre-Conference
Practice with the Online CPHRM Self-Assessment Exam
The 100-item Online CPHRM Self-Assessment Exam parallels the format, content, cognitive levels and difficulty of the CPHRM Certification Exam.
About the CPHRM Exam
Administered by the American Hospital Association, the Certified Professional in Health Care Risk Management (CPHRM) is the health care industry’s premier certification for the risk management profession. The American Hospital Association’s Certification Center (AHA-CC) determines eligibility requirements, exam content, testing procedures and other aspects of the certification, and oversees the examination process.
The American Hospital Association Certification Center contracts with PSI to administer the CPHRM exam. The exam is available online at PSI Assessment Centers.
- Register to take the CPHRM exam at a PSI Assessment Center.
- Frequently asked questions for the CPHRM exam and CPHRM recertification.
- Read the CPHRM Candidate Handbook for more details including:
- Scheduling the exam
- Rules for taking the exam
- ID requirements for taking the exam
- Passing and failing information
- CPHRM renewal information
Changes to the CPHRM Exam in 2020
A revised version of the CPHRM Exam launched in January 2020. All ASHRM study materials have been updated to reflect the 2020 version of the exam
|Previous CPHRM Domains||Jan. 2, 2020 CPHRM Domains and Weight|
|1. Clinical/Patient Safety: 35 items||1. Clinical/Patient Safety: 25 items|
|2. Risk Financing: 10 items||2. Risk Financing: 15 items|
|3. Legal and Regulatory: 24 items||3. Legal and Regulatory: 20 items|
|4. Health Care Operations: 20 items||4. Health Care Operations: 20 items|
|5. Claims and Litigations: 5 items||5. Claims and Litigations: 20 items|
- To register for the exam, submit your application or confirm your registration, contact PSI at 1-888-519-9901 or info@goAMP.com.
- For additional information about the CPHRM Certification Program, contact the AHA Certification Center at 312-422-3702, or firstname.lastname@example.org.