Stemming the Growing Epidemic of Violence in Health Care Facilities
ASHRM On-Demand Webinar
CE Credit: 1
Domain: Clinical Patient Safety
This webinar provides a discussion about the growing threat of violence in health care facilities, the effect it has on patients and employees, and what can be done to prevent and mitigate violence.
While health care facilities are a place of care and healing, they are prone to violence. In fact, data from OSHA suggests that violence against providers caused by patients or visitors nearly doubled between 2012 and 2014. Violence is also four times more common in a health care setting than across all private industry. Despite the numbers, many providers still think a violent incident is something that will never happen to them or their organization. Yet, as recent high-profile violent incidents in New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Ohio demonstrate, violence is a growing workplace epidemic that providers must confront.
- • Identify the most pressing patient and staff security issues and trends.
- • Discuss the core components of a workplace violence prevention and response program.
- • Outline the duties of the Risk Manager and the critical role they play within the larger organization.
- • Articulate the liability implications and relevant insurance safeguards.
- • Draw from real examples and explore lessons learned.
Terese (Terry) Hopper
Richard Sem, CPP CSC
Questions? Contact ASHRM@aha.org