The HRM Certificate Program
The HRM Certificate Program, a cornerstone of ASHRM’s professional development opportunities, covers key aspects of risk management while providing valuable continuing education credits. Leading experts, professional contacts, powerful tools and impactful lessons are just some of the valuable ways in which participants and their employers can benefit from attending the HRM Certificate Program.
HRM Certificate Module 1
Essentials in Healthcare Risk Management
Enhance your foundational knowledge and practical skills necessary to support a successful healthcare risk management (HRM) program.
- Risk Identification
- High Risk Settings
- Risk Analysis
- Risk Control
- Root Cause Analysis
- Claims Management
- Risk Financing
- Crisis Management
- Emerging Risks
HRM Certificate Module 2
Applications in Healthcare Risk Management
Enrich your practical risk management skills using complex subject matter.
- Enterprise Risk Management
- The Legal System: Introduction to the Law
- Laws and Regulations Affecting Risk Management
- Information Privacy and Security
- Conditions of Participation
- Employees: Balancing Rights in the Healthcare Workplace
- Disaster Preparedness
- Claims and Litigation Management
- Clinical Risk – Informed Consent
- Clinical Risk – Disclosure
- Risk Trending and Analysis
- Future Trends
HRM Certificate Module 3
Advanced Forum in Healthcare Risk Management
Use your risk management skills to engage stakeholders in creating and protecting organizational value.
- The Risk Manager’s Role in ERM
- The Business Case for Risk Management
- Big Data: What it is and Why it Matters
- Population Health: The Who, What, Why and Risk Management Aspects
- Contract Review: Significant Benefits
- Overview of Insurance Portfolio and Policies
- Human Resources Issues for Risk Managers
- Risk Financing Coverages
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Due Diligence in Healthcare
- Medical Devices: A Primer on Innovation, Management and Liability
- Actuarial Process and Risk Transfer
Risk and quality managers, insurance and claims professionals, safety officers, administrators, financial officers, clinicians, attorneys, consultants and other healthcare professionals from all levels of experience.
The HRM Certificate Program faculty are seasoned leaders from a variety of settings. They are healthcare risk management professionals who practice in risk financing, claims administration, insurance, patient safety, ethics, compliance and other domains covered in the courses.
Methods of instruction for the modules include lecture, discussion, classroom exercises, a case study and an optional final exam.
ASHRM recommends that you take the modules in sequence as information expands from one module to the next. Essentials is an ideal educational base for new risk managers, and an excellent up-to-date refresher for more experienced professionals. As the next step, Applications shows how principles described in Essentials actually work in the real world. The Advanced Forum consists of expertly guided, small-group analysis of complex challenges and is most beneficial when all participants are able to share their proven solutions.
Verification of Participation/Successful Completion
Upon completion of all three modules in Healthcare Risk Management Certificate Program, ASHRM is pleased to award a certificate of completion for the entire program. Candidates must complete and return the certificate of completion application (Microsoft Word document), along with copies of each module’s certificate, to ASHRM to be eligible for the certificate of completion. Once received, ASHRM will process and send back the certificate of completion to the successful participant.