Chapter Handbook: Affiliation
List of Affiliated Chapters
For the most up-to-date list of ASHRM chapters, please visit the ASHRM Chapter Directory.
To update your chapter’s information, please contact ASHRM email@example.com or (312) 422-3986.
Starting a New ASHRM Chapter
If you are interested in starting a new ASHRM chapter in your area, ASHRM can assist you with planning and promotion.
How a chapter is structured and organized is largely up to the chapter leadership and is not dictated by ASHRM, although there are best practices, such as the ones recommended in this handbook. You will need to build interest in your new chapter, recruit charter members, establish chapter officers and election procedures, finalize bylaws and other foundational tasks.
To recruit members, ASHRM can provide a list of ASHRM members in your state or local area to whom you can market your chapter.
Once your chapter is officially organized and you meet the requirements for affiliation, you can submit a request for affiliation to ASHRM. The ASHRM Board of Directors reviews all requests for affiliation at their quarterly board meetings. Newly affiliated chapters are announced at the Annual Business Meeting during the Annual Conference & Exhibition in the fall.
To initiate a request for affiliation, please contact ASHRM at (312) 422-3986 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for Affiliation
Chapter affiliation with ASHRM requires the following:
1. Chapters must fully execute a chapter affiliation agreement with the ASHRM.
2. Chapter must have a mission statement that helps advance ASHRM’s mission.
3. Chapter much be governed by bylaws that are compliant with relevant laws.
4. Chapters must have at least 20 members.
5. Chapters with less than 100 members must have at least 15 members who are also ASHRM members.
6. The President and President-Elect of the chapter must be ASHRM members.
7. The chapter must maintain a bank account in the chapter’s name.
8. Chapter must have obtained its own Employer Identification Number.
9. The chapter must be incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation and be in good standing in its state of incorporation.
10. Chapter must obtain an exemption from federal income taxes under section 501(c) of the IRS.
11. Chapter must obtain general liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $1,000,000 and include proof of such insurances with its annual report.
12. The chapter must maintain directors and officers liability (D&O) insurance and include proof of such insurance with its annual report.